On the Move at the Y
With the sun staying up longer each day, it's the perfect time of year to get out of the house and get your body moving. Your body and your mind will thank you for incorporating more movement throughout the day.
“There are so many physical, mental and social benefits to getting up and moving your body,” reports the Chester County Department of Health. Their recent survey found that 60% of Chester County residents cited physical activity as one of the most important behaviors for improving health and wellness. That's why the Health Department is encouraging residents to get active with their ChesCo on the Move campaign - and we want to help!
Here at the Y, we have plenty of opportunities for you to get active. Pick your favorite and let's get moving.
- Swing - Golfing is a great way to move your body while also being social. Bonus points for supporting a good cause all at the same time.
Each year, the Hostetter family partners with the Jennersville YMCA to organize a golf tournament to honor the memory of their daughter, Rebekah, an accomplished swimmer who taught swim lessons, coached swim teams and served as a lifeguard at the YMCA. All proceeds from this tournament fund the YMCA's Safety Around Water program, which teaches local children life-saving skills - just as Rebekah did.
Please join us Moccasin Run Golf Course on June 8 to help us celebrate Rebekah. $175 per golfer or $600 per foursome.
Register by June 1
- Splash - Swim laps, try an aqua group exercise class or perfect your cannonball - all are fun ways to move your whole body. Whether you like to swim indoors or out, we've got you covered!
Outdoor pools open on Saturday, May 27. We'll see you poolside!
Outdoor Pool Schedule
- Dink - With more than 50 courts and counting, the YMCA is your home for pickleball in Chester County. We offer free introductory clinics for members, open play and adaptive pickleball. Try this popular sport that's celebrated for being easy to learn and encouraging socialization.
**NEW FOR SUMMER 2023** We're opening a dedicated pickleball facility in July. Be the first to preview YMCA Pickleball Center at our sneak peek events on June 11 at 1 PM or June 17 at 9 AM.
Register for Sneak Peeks
- Pop Up - Did you know? The YMCA holds pop-up fitness classes to provide new and exciting ways to get you moving. Choose from Pilates, Meditation, Yin Yoga and more.
- Pump Up - Strength training provides a boost to your wellness routine. Not only can regular weight training improve muscle strength and bone health, but it can also benefit your mental health. Earlier this year, we refitted our Wellness Centers with more strength equipment to help you reach your fitness goals. So, don’t skip the weights!
- Walk - No fancy equipment is needed to take a walk - and there are plenty of beautiful spaces across Chester County, including here at the Y. Many of our branches offer indoor walking tracks. And, our team at the Jennersville YMCA offers a walking group for those ages 55+. Go at your own pace while you talk with friends.
For more ways to get active, try Chesco Moves with MoveSpring, an app that lets you compete in challenges with other residents.
“Wherever you like to move – at your local YMCA, church, neighborhood or park, we encourage everyone in Chester County to use this free, engaging resource and join us in moving towards a healthier community!” - Jeanne Franklin, Director of the Chester County Health Department