YMCA of Greater Brandywine Holds Diaper Drive to Meet Community Needs
Community invited to donate diapers
The YMCA of Greater Brandywine (YGBW), a nonprofit association of eight YMCA branches in Chester County, is hosting a diaper drive this month in partnership with Chester County Women’s Services and the Chester County Department of Children, Youth & Families.
Anyone in the community is welcome to drop off disposable diapers at any of YGBW’s eight branches and the organization will make sure they get to those who need them. According to the National Diaper Bank Network, one in three US families reports having a need for diapers and there are no state or federal programs that cover diapers specifically. With infants requiring up to 12 diapers a day and toddlers about eight, disposable diapers can quickly run parents and caregivers $70-$80 a month. Most childcare centers, even those with free and/or subsidized programs, require parents to provide at least a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
“Our mission is to support and strengthen our community in every way possible,” says Denise Day, President and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Brandywine. “When we learned just how many families need diapers, we knew we could help. COVID-19 has created overwhelming needs in our community, and we will continue to do everything we can to help all in our community.”
YGBW’s diaper drive runs through Sunday, February 28. Donations of diapers can be dropped off at any YGBW location:
- Brandywine YMCA, 295 Hurley Road, Coatesville
- Jennersville YMCA, 880 W Baltimore Pike, West Grove
- Kennett Area YMCA, 101 Race Street, Kennett Square
- Lionville Community YMCA, 100 Devon Drive, Exton
- Oscar Lasko YMCA & Childcare Center, 1 E Chestnut Street, West Chester
- Octorara YMCA Program Center, 104 Highland Road, Atglen
- Upper Main Line YMCA, 1416 Berwyn-Paoli Road, Berwyn
- West Chester Area YMCA, 605 Airport Road, West Chester