What is the YMCA’s Healthy Weight Loss Program?
The YMCA’s Healthy Weight Loss Program helps people lose weight by making small, modest changes to their daily behaviors and forming sustainable, healthy habits.
How is this program different from other weight loss programs?
Everyone’s body works differently. The YMCA’s Healthy Weight Loss Program empowers individuals to design their own plans to achieve a healthier weight that they can maintain long-term, rather than prescribing or advocating for one specific method or short-term solution.
How does the program work?
- Each group, which includes 8-16 people, meets one hour per week for 12 weeks. The group is led by a trained facilitator who creates a safe and supportive environment for all participants.
- During the 12 weeks, each group’s facilitator leads discussions on goal setting, balanced eating, physical activity, stress, mindfulness and more.
- Participants track their daily food intake and physical activity, as well as develop weekly action plans that incorporate concepts learned during each session.
Who facilitates the program?
Each group in the Healthy Weight Loss Program is led by a trained facilitator who has completed more than 30 hours of training specifically to lead this program. Who can enroll in the program? The program is open to anyone 18 years or older.
What results have participants experienced?
The program was piloted at 27 YMCAs in 2017 and produced these results:
- 70% of participants experienced weight loss, with the average for those attending all 12 weekly sessions being 8.4 pounds.
- When asked how likely they were to recommend the program to a friend on a scale of 1-10, the average rating was 8.
- 94% reported having the ability to be more mindful when eating and that they were better able to set realistic goals for themselves.
When does the program start?
Visit www.ymcagbw.org/weightloss to find a current listing of classes.
How do I register for the program?
Participants can register in-branch at their membership services desk or online at www.ymcagbw.org/weightloss.
How much does the program cost?
The program is $99 for YMCA members and $189 for non-members.
Do I have to be a member of the Y to join the program?
No. For those who are not YMCA of Greater Brandywine members, the program cost is $189.
Is financial assistance offered for the program?
Yes. Visit the member services desk at your local branch for information.
Can a participant join a 12-week program at any time?
No. Participants must enroll before the second weekly class of the 12-week program. If it is after week 2, participants will begin when the next class starts.
Do participants have to take an assessment prior to starting the program?
No. An assessment is not required. The program is open to anyone interested in achieving a healthier weight.