Exciting Changes for Summer Camp 2020
Welcome to YMCA Summer Camp 2020!
We’re excited to share some enhancements to our summer camps beginning in 2020! We’ve combined the best parts of our traditional grade school camps to provide you a new and unified experience!
Each YMCA camp will still have what you love – arts and crafts, games and sports, nature and environmental education, character development and team building, theme activities, community service and swim lessons or daily free swim (depending on your location) – but now the campers will have unified group names across all YMCA of Greater Brandywine branches and each will be progressive, meaning the activities will be increasingly more challenging as the campers age.
Our new traditional camp groups include:
- Pathfinders (completed Kindergarten or 1st grade): Our youngest campers will participate in Safety Around Water training or swim lessons and enjoy an onsite visitor presentation weekly.
- Trailblazers (completed 2nd or 3rd grades): In addition to daily activities, trailblazers will participate in weekly field trips.
- Rangers (completed 4th or 5th grades): This group will have the opportunity to participate in “choice” periods during the day, where they can select from more specialized activities relating to sports, the arts and technology. They will also participate in weekly field trips as well as archery (where available). This group will have time to be more social and spend time with their friends.
All camps will have the same popular theme weeks, but offered at different times, and each camp will still feature spirit days and family events.
Preschool Summer Camps
Our preschool camps will remain similar to previous years and continue to include weekly themes and age-appropriate activities.
Teen Summer Camps
Options for teens include:
- Adventure Camp (completed 6th, 7th or 8th grades): This older group will have activity focused weeks–including volunteer opportunities and field trips.
- Leaders in Training (LIT) (completed 9th or 10th grades): This group will discover their leadership qualities as they learn and develop the necessary camp skills to lead camper activities and work with younger children. Additionally, they will have opportunities to shadow counselors and assist staff in camp activities, as well as time to hang out with friends, new and old.
New for 2020!
- Camp 101 – Check your branch for Camp 101 dates, when you can stop by the branch and learn more about 2020 YMCA summer camp.
- Open Houses, when you can visit the camp site and meet the staff, will take place for all YMCA of greater Brandywine branches on Monday, March 30.